Monday, August 1, 2011

Change must come from within

But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. ~ Matt 10:33
Proof that my sweet boyfriend has finally convinced me of the importance of preventative car maintenance- this Saturday I took Colbie in for an oil change.   While waiting, I noticed the plaque above the door “Faith is not believing that God can, but knowing that He will  hmm-interesting.  Confirmation that I was patronizing a Godly establishment, perhaps?
 When I went up to pay, the mechanic asked me if I was a Christian.  I nodded and gave a very neutral mmm-hmmm. But inwardly I was cringing.  Cuz this confirmation of my faith would have been slightly more convincing had I not just spent the last hour perusing through a Cosmo, and if said magazine was not jutting out of my purse with the title clearly visible (this month’s issue: Top 50 Sex Moves!!!) Mr. Car-guy said he noticed my radio was set to KSBJ, which he enjoys listening to a lot.  Now, the last conversation I had with a "Christian" car guy involved him trying to sell me a very overpriced vehicle.  I figured this guy was either a) hiting on me or b) trying to sell me something, neither of which I was interested in.  Eager to be on my way, I handed him my card and finished the transaction. 
Later that afternoon while scrolling through the TV channels I stopped on Sex and the City.  Normally I don’t watch that show, but this particular episode (Great Sexpectations) was about a wedding, and….I just couldn’t help myself.  So in this segment my favorite character, Charlotte York, has a discussion with her long time b/f about their future.  Henry confesses that he hasn’t proposed yet because he's always planned to raise his future-children Jewish.  He’s been struggling with how her faith impacts their long-term compatibility.   Like me, Charlotte was raised in the Episcopal Church.  In the name of Love she decides to convert to Judiasm.
Our doe-eyed heroine makes her way to the synagogue, finds a Rabbi, and explains why she’s there.  He promptly shuts the door in her face.  Incredulous, Charlotte comes back later and knocks again, only to be rejected a second time.  She returns home that evening and reviews the botched conversion with her beloved.Your people are so rude! she tells him.  Henry realizes he forgot to tell her that it’s a tradition in the Jewish faith to reject prospective converts 3 times- to insure their sincerity.
Wow…that got me thinking.  How many people would be sitting in churches today if their faith was actually put to the test?  Even once- much less 3 different times.  In considering my own lukewarm profession earlier that day, I realized it was hypocrytical, at best.  Maybe not a flat out “denial before men”, but I’ve been more enthusastic and detailed while ordering cheeseburgers at Sonic.
Ok now the good part.  On Sunday I stumbled my way into the last part of Ephesians (6:18-20)  and pray for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.           
So, Paul is sitting in some Roman prison and the only thing he wants is prayers for boldness.  Not for food or an extra blanket.  Not prayers for his speedy release.  No request for the protection from icky diseases and bolts of lightening to strike his captors.  Just boldness. To speak Gospel wherever he is, to whoever he finds, whatever the consequences are.  I pray this type of spirit will be cultivated in my own life, and that like Paul I would become (The NIV translates it differently)  FEARLESS!  

I would also love to pray for my friends out there, so feel free to leave prayer requests/concerns in the comment section below!   
(ps, also reconsidering the type of media I surround myself with, but that’s another post altogether!)      

No comments: