Monday, August 29, 2011


“Miss Leah, I bet these marshmallows are full of carbs aren’t they?”  I’m not sure what disturbs me more about this question: that it came from a 7 year old.  Or that it came from a boy. 
I wish this is the part where I could say that I stopped what I was doing and imparted some memorable words of wisdom.  Sadly, I had a Sunday school class full of new children and we needed to clean up to be on time for Big Church.  I said that I have no idea how many carbs are in a marshmallow, and could we all just line up quietly, please.
Maybe I’m reading way too much into this, but since WHEN does a 7 year old boy worry about eating too many carbs?!?!?? Ok perhaps his mom is dieting or he’s heard one too many comments like this from a big sister- but still. It was a sad reminder that we live in a world where people judge each other based off of what they look like- which leads to spending time and money trying to look like who other people think we should be, instead of being who we are.  Childhood is a precious time in one’s life and it goes by so fast.  Even though we think they aren’t listening or paying attention half the time, kids really do absorb some of those messages in the media and what’s played out in their homes.
I wish I had taken the time to figure out where this question was really coming from, and given him a real answer.  Kinda dropped the ball on this one:

 

No comments: