Sunday, November 27, 2011

I'm in a cage!


John called his family to share our happy news.... 
"What?!" his cousin asked "You're in a cage??"
"No...I'm ENGAGED!"

10 months ago John picked me up and took me to the Houston Zoo.  I was kind of suprised that he showed up at all.  The night before, John had came over for our Third Date.  Dinner went well but when he asked if he could kiss me goodnight I was like "ummm...not yet."  We said a very ackward goodbye, and I really didn't think he was going to call me again.  Fortunatley, things went better on date #4.  After walking around the Zoo and talking some more, I was ready to take things to the Next Level.  We were standing in front of the sea lion exhibit when I reached over...and held his hand.  Later that evening John got his goodnight kiss and we became a couple.   

So much prayer has gone into this relationship.  I started praying over a husband (and his family) when I was about 14.  I know there have been many others, too.  It has been amazing to see God's faithfullness, abundance, and perfect timing as only He could have orchestrated this relationship.  Once we started dating, John and I prayed that God would show us His willl for our relationship.  We have clearly seen His hand along every step of this journey.  The more I'm with John the more I understand Christ's unconditional love.  I've never met anyone else I could say that about, which is how I knew he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. 

After spending a lovely Thanksgiving with my family and friends John came over the next day, to take me to the Zoo.  I had been on pins and needles for weeks waiting for him to pop the question, but wasn't really expecting it that day.  We stood in front of the sea lion exhibit once again, and he gazed into my eyes and explained that this spot was very special to him because it was where we had first held hands, 10 months ago.  "No it wasn't!" I laughed "It was in the car on the way home!" I distinctly remember waiting for him to hit 5th gear so his right hand would be free.  John had to backpeddle a little bit and jogged my memory.  He brought me over to a bench and pulled this gorgeous ring out of his pocket before getting down on one knee to propose.  Of course I said yes and we went back to my parents' house, where my mom and dad were waiting with champagne to celebrate.

And now (as Raliegh said) I'm in a cage!

1 comment:

Mandi Watts said...

That is so awesome! I'm so happy for you!