Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Has la vista Carolina?

I hope most of you know that I got a new cell phone & number a few months ago.  I like the phone itself but at least once a week I get a text message in Spanish, advertising cheap rates to call Honduras.  I have no idea how to discontinue the texts, because I’m not the one who signed up to get these notices- whoever had this number before me did.
Since switching numbers I’ve also gotten texts and calls from numerous people asking to speak with a Carolina.  These are always in Spanish and always from an unknown number/unfamiliar area code.  I kept telling them they have the wrong number, they kept calling back.  This has gone on for about 2 months, and I was cleaning the house when it finally dawned on me….
what if they DO have the right number!?  These folks must live in Honduras, and Carolina must have been contacting them from this number.  My slight annoyance has turned into curiosity.  I’m assuming this Carolina is a recent immigrant who is living in Houston.  Something bad has happened- she ran out of money- and can’t pay the phone bill anymore. Or she lost the phone and switched numbers.  Maybe she was robbed (or a victim of human trafficking….)  But why wouldn’t she tell her family and friends back home how to get a hold of her?  These people obviously care about her and they haven’t been able to get in touch with her in almost 3 months. 
When the phone rang again I was ready.  This time, I answered in Spanish “Bueno” 
“Buenos Dias” came the reply- a female caller (Carolina’s mother perhaps??)
"Estas buscando por Carolina? "
"Si, por Carolina!" 
I hated to get this poor woman’s hopes up.  All I could do was explain that this is not her number anymore, I have had this number since June and many people have called me looking for Carolina- who is she?  I couldn’t understand the reply that came afterwards, but the woman hung up and I haven’t gotten any more calls looking for Carolina.  I hope she is ok.  I hope she will contact her family soon.  In the meantime, I’m left wondering….Has la vista Carolina?? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does "Has la vista" mean? Is this like Schwarzenegger's "Hasta la vista"?

Leah said...

Has la vista means Have you seen her? (the habla-espanolers out there can feel free to correct my grammar btw)

Hasta la vista was a way of saying see ya later