Friday, October 14, 2011

Get 'er Done

In light of SJPs movie How does she do it, and this "down to earth" article (http://goop.com/newsletter/112/en/) from Gweneth Paltrow on some "real life" working mothers, I bring you my latest post:
Recap of my week:  *Home visit* Monday followed by a trip to the  *Post office*Forgot about a *Home visit* Tuesday.  *Long distance date night *with my sweet boyfriend…We watch Ringer- it’s a thing.  It’s also the only time my TV came on all week.  Yeah, that’s how much spare time I have. *Car wash/Oil change+ unnecessary cleaning of fuel injectors* (NEVER taking my car there again btw!).    *Interview w/ safety analyst* for work.  Went dress/shoe *shopping* with mom *Dinner with my dad* a nice long *walk* had a late *Meeting *with clients.  *Ran 3 miles* finally got home did 1 *load of laundry*  which was just enough to *pack* for my trip this weekend.  Had a *doctor’s appointment *this morning,  went to the *pharmacy* and Friday is *filing* day at work.
Can you spot what’s missing from this list?  Yep, I haven’t gone grocery shopping, cooked a meal, or actually cleaned anything in almost 2 weeks. 
I can do it all…just not all at once!
While I’ve seriously been focusing on getting back into shape/training for a 5-mile run, I have seriously been neglecting my housework.  And that’s ok.  Because there are only so many things I can accomplish in one day (2 big items after work is a realistic number) When I take on a new project something’s got to give.  So I gave myself permission:  a no-harm-no-foul, get-out-of-jail-guilt-free *PASS* on laundry/housework for a few weeks.  It’s been nice really.  I pack my workout clothes in the morning, hit the park on the way home, don’t get back to my place until 8.  At which point, I am in no mood to do laundry- or anything else for that matter.  I’ve ended up eating at my parent’s place several nights this week, which has only enabled my non-grocery-going self to get out of cooking.  
But, this pass is only good for 2 weeks, and it will expire soon.  My improved diet/increased exercising is definitely paying off (did you see any trips through the drive through on that list?? No. You didn’t)  My clothes might be fitting better now, but I still need to do laundry and get them hung up before they look like the back end of a shar pei.  There will be no trip to Louisiana or mooching off of parental figures next week.  I will be home, wading through piles layers of laundry, cleaning the bathroom, stocking up on groceries, and re-organizing my closet.    
Perhaps a trip to the container store is in order.  For me, the container store is synonnomous with my Dream.  For some reason I think that if I just keep visiting this organizational mecca I will eventually soak up enough OCD vibes and get my place looking like something out of a Martha Stewart catalogue.  The Dream dies a slow and expensive death. 
So what I really wanted to know, for those of you out there who really DO do it all- what's the secret? 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sometimes I will run the dishwasher one day and unload it a few days later. I will leave a little early on Fridays from work to do grocery shopping...just dont look too close at my floors at home-they haven't been mopped in months :-(

Mandi Watts said...

I don't know all your readers, but I'm pretty sure none of them are actually doing it all. Some may just be better ducks--calm on the surface but paddling furiously beneath the water. I've wasted too much time worrying about not getting it all done, and I've finally learned to just enjoy each day and not worry about whether I got the dishes loaded in the dishwasher before bed or not. I think you've got the right attitude. You can get it all done, just not all at once. And you need to give yourself those passes. It's the only way to stay sane.