Thursday, December 8, 2011

1990 called....it wants its tolerance back

  

1990 called- it wants its tolerance back. 
I went to elementary school in a small & very homogenous town.  I played with the same kids on the same street, and we all went to the same school (different churches though!) I was in second grade before I ever met someone who wasn’t a Christian- my friend Lindsey, who was Jewish.  This wasn’t a big deal though, even when Christmas rolled around.  We all colored pictures of Santa Claus, and made construction paper Christmas trees. Lindsey colored pictures of Menorahs and made a construction-paper Dreidel.  A teacher who did this today would most likely get sued.  But ya know what we had?? A room full of happy kids.  Noone had to stop celebrating our holiday so that someone else could celebrate theirs.  And we ALL pitched in to sponsor a needy family and give them toys and presents-because Mrs. Arnold said giving back was the most important part of the holiday. 
At one point my dad explained how some (African-American) families also celebrate Kwanzaa.  He asked if I wanted to.  With its week of candle lighting and readings- it seemed to me that Mr. Karenga had just borrowed this holiday from the Jews, and repackaged it during the Civil Rights movement. We were Episcopalian and already had a whole MONTH of candles and readings (for Advent) so I opted out of this celebration- But we don’t care if anyone else does.  See how that works? Happy Christmahanukawazaa yall! 
And to all of our men and women serving in the armed forces, gay, straight or crooked...why can't we just say THANK YOU for everything they're doing in this country!!!!

No comments: