Friday, December 30, 2011

Dear 2011


   You have been a roller coaster year.  With your ups and downs, twist and turns I have had to hold on tight to this passage from Ecclesiastes.  It reminds me that God “gets it” and I love how He gives permission to experience each and every season fully.       

1 There is a time for everything,
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
   a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
   a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up,
   a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate,
   a time for war and a time for peace.

2011, you did not start off particularly well.  But you sure did turn out nicely.  After going through a spiritual drought so to speak (which really, started back to Nov 2010) in March it was with much rejoicing that I felt God’s spirit moving in my life once more and calling me into a deeper existence with Him.

You have brought me lots of hellos but also goodbyes.  My niece was born in September, my friend’s daughter before that.  I am looking forward to the arrival of baby Coats sometime very soon.  In addition, there have been weddings & engagements (congrats to Moose & Ashley, Elise & Sean, Joanna & Phillip, Lhuree & Sean.) But just as many funerals (My grandmother Mary Greene, my godmother Lawlie Sobiesk, one of my best and sweetest friends, Brandon Mills, then Mr. Drake & Mr. Johnson).  It's been incredibly hard to deal with you sometimes. 

You  also had your pretty cool moments.  You were the year of many of my 'firsts.'  After moving out of my townhouse and into a condo- I made my first attempt at home decorating.  I bought (real) furniture for the first time.  I bought my first car.  I did my first triathlon.  I’ve reconnected with old friends, made new ones, grown closer to my family, and made time for things I enjoy most: jogging, blogging, cooking, and reading.  One of your highlights was my best friend Elizabeth visiting this summer.  We were never able to room together in college, but you finally gave us chance to make up for that.  We also celebrated our 10-year anniversary with a trip to the Melting Pot during restaurant week.  Cheers, Ducky!

You have helped me to realize that Wichita Falls will always be my hometown, but after living here for 4 years this crazy, chaotic city is my home now.  Having roots is a good thing.  The thing is I can’t let mine grow too deep- not much longer and I’ll be moving again.  Not sure how long this quasi-nomadic period of my life will last, but it has really taught me to watch how much “stuff” I accumulate. 

Managing all that stuff, space, and time required a level of organization that I have yet to achieve.  You encouraged me re-evaluate some of my priorities and embrace a much more simple and streamlined approach- due in large part to my growing adoration of the Container Store.  And judging from verse 6, God is clearly a fan of spring cleaning, too.     

For far too long, I have remained silent about things which needed to be spoken.   But with you I found courage I didn’t know existed to confront this head on.  I have let go of anger, past hurts, and assumptions about what should be and learned to work with what is.  Thank you. 

Most of all,  you have been a year filled with love.  I am incredibly blessed to have John in my life because the more I’m with him the more I understand Christ’s unconditional love for His church.  What started out as dinner turned into another date, then a relationship and somewhere in between setting of the smoke alarm while making (what was supposed to be) dazzling ribs and pulling away from the gas station admiring my new ring (with the pump still going in my car) I have found someone with enough humor and health insurance to spend the rest of my life with.  My time as a single gal is over and I can't wait to see what the next year will bring our way.

Please tell 2012 I said hi.
Love,
Leah

No comments: