Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chicken nuggets of wisdom: On marriage

1)      Be of one accord with your spouse   ~Ms. W. (foster mom) married for 30+ years

2)      What’s the secret to marriage?  Longsuffering!  ~Collin’s dad, Terri, happily married to Leta

3) Marriage is like a roller coaster.  It’s going to have a lot of ups and downs.  Never make a big   decision  when you’re really up high, or when you're going through a down. That's the key...well, that and a good sex life. ~Sharon, my former program director.

4)Don’t be in a rush to get married, you have to date at least 50 of ‘em before you try to pick one ~My godmother, Lawlie, whom Dr. Sobiesk always referred to as his "bride", even when they were both in their 60s.

5) Learn to cook a chicken, bake a pie & don’t cut your hair. ~My grandmother.  Celebrated 60 years with my granddad.

6)   You can start dating when you're 16, but he needs to come over for dinner first so your dad and I can meet him.  When he comes to pick you up, I expect him to hold to door for you and treat you with respect...If we don't like him, I will tell you about it- once. Don’t worry about finding “Mr. Right” because nobody is perfect.  You have to find the man who’s right-for-YOU.   And he might not want to live in the storage shed behind our house.  ~Mom.  When I was about 7

7)      It’s good that you’re learning how to cook and everything, but what you really need to do is learn to make macaroni & cheese 4 nights in a row, THEN make a fabulous new recipe! ~Dad, last week

8)      You just need to understand that marriage is like a mirror that will reflect all of your flaws back to you. ~Moose

9)   No matter who I marry, she will be the happiest woman in the world.  Because that’s my job as a husband: to love unconditionally.  It’s not even about her.  ~Collin

10)   I don’t like him.  You can do so much better.  ~Brandon (NOT referring to John!)

11)   He’s not right for you. ~ Shane (again, NOT referring to John!)

12)   Terri: Does he go to church?
      Me: Yes
Terri: Does he smoke or chew?
Me: No
Terri: Does he drive a truck?
Me: He has a corvette
Terri: oh...well, I guess 2 outta 3 ain’t bad  

13)   Sara: I think he’s going to ask her to marry him.  Maddie: I think she should say yes ~Flower girl
14)The 3 most important words a husband can tell his wife are: Just buy it.  The best way to win an argument is to remember these two words: Yes, dear.  The best way to remember your anniversary is to forget it once.  , ~ toast @ Brett/Jen’s wedding
15) You’re a very special girl.  One day you’re gonna find a nice guy who realizes this. ~Byron, social work buddy
16) Don’t date a guy thinking you’re going to change him.  Find a guy you like so much you don’t WANT him to change. ~Hayley’s mom, Janice. 
17) How do you know when it’s love?  You just…know.  ~Chelsea’s mom, Linda
18) You love to argue all the time but when you get married your husband will always have the last word. It will be: Yes, dear! ~Mr. Mahurin, high school teacher.
19) Marriage is great!  Now we each have our “fun money.” She can’t say anything when I buy a new video game & I don’t say anything when she gets a new pair of shoes. ~Collin   
20) Don’t go to an orange tree looking for apples ~Elizabeth’s dad, on why it’s a good idea to find a guy through the church
21) Marriage is….it’s so awesome!!! ~Sean, married to Lhuree 1 month ago
22) You have to start off every day doing something nice. ~my dad, who brings my mom coffee in bed, every morning.

23) I know that God picked her for me....so if something's wrong, it's not God's fault.  I screwed up. ~my dad

24) Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails. ~St. Paul the apostle.

25) Being married is not all that different, really.  I just buy a lot more toilet paper now. ~ Collin

26) Don't come back here with anything you didn't take with you...know what I'm sayin ~ my grandmother, before my brother went on spring break.

27) You know we love you and we have the guest room so you and John can always come over for a visit....But when you have a fight, and you will, don't you come over here.  You keep your butt in Louisiana and work things out with your husband!  ~my mom/dad 

28) The man is the head of the household & Satan will always attack the head first.  So we have to pray for our husbands ~ Erika

29) It's so different when we fight now.  I know he's not goin anywhere, and he knows I'm not goin anywhere, so it's like, can we get this over with already? I have to pick up the kids from soccer. ~ my fav professor, Dr. Rene Brown.

30) Marriage is hard work, girl!  It's something you have to work at every single day. ~Jen

31) You really have to learn to fight fair ~Ashley

32) Marriage doesn't actually change anything, you just get more of what's already there. ~Me

33) Don't get chili sauce on your wedding dress ~girls only worksop @ SBC

34) Sieze the day...or the night! ~ Johnathan

35) Just because a guy buys you a drink doesn't mean you have to give him your number ~ Jason

36) Would you wait for me?  We're supposed to do this together. ~ John

37) Ladies, find an Ephesians 5 guy! ~ Brady, college minister @ MSU

38) He has to be the spiritual leader in the relationship.~ Candice

39) If he doesn't respect you enough to wait...then he can just get to steppin ~ Joshua

40) What kind of shoes should you wear for a first date!?  Trust me, if you're doing things right, he won't be looking at your shoes~ Collin

41) Positives go on facebook, negatives in private ~Mandy & Mel

42) Don't neglect the physical aspect of a marriage.  If ask you husband what you can do to show that you love him....trust me ladies, he's not going to want you to make him a sandwich ;-)
 ~radio thing

1 comment:

Mandi Watts said...

These are all so great!